Saturday, April 7, 2012

Recipe: Sweet Potato Pancakes

recipe, breakfast, food, sweet potato, pancakes

I came up with these when I was in a comfort-food-mood, but didn't just want to end up eating cake and Pringles. I had some leftover mashed sweet potatos that were looking for a home and thought I would experiment (sweet potatoes make everything better, automatically). I substituted them for the oil called for in regular pancake recipes and added extra almond milk to make the batter a bit thinner.

Health Notes: These pancakes are low-fat and dairy-free! Another plus, since sweet potatoes are naturally sweet, this recipe doesn't call for as much sugar.

recipe, breakfast, food, sweet potato, pancakes

Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups almond milk 
1 egg
1/2 cup mashed sweet potato
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Coconut butter or cooking spray
Blueberries & banana, optional

1. Heat a frying pan on medium heat. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.

2. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg and almond milk. Stir in sweet potato and vanilla extract.

3. Add sweet potato mixture to dry ingredients. Stir just until combined.

4. Fold in blueberries.

5. Grease the frying pan. Drop batter using a ladle or big spoon. You can make the pancakes as big or as little as you want.

6. Serve with fruit and/or syrup. Bacon doesn't hurt, either :)

3 comments:

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

These look delicious..maybe someday soon I can give it a try!

Anonymous said...

I want to remember this trick! I've substituted applesauce for the oil in brownies...I think it is the same principle.

Daysha said...

This sounds interesting and yummy! I added you to my blogroll too and followed! Adore your style :)
xx
-Daysha

Blogging tips