Monday, April 16, 2012

Dinner Tonight: Power Salad

Grapefruit, kale, and avocados are all very affordable in April, since they're in season, so why not load up on all three! I've created this warm salad, which is loosely based on a delicious salad my BFF Katherine made for Thanksgiving. It features nutrient- and fiber-rich foods, is low-fat, vegan, and incredibly delicious!

Ingredients (2 salads):
1 bunch of kale
1 grapefruit
1 medium to large avocado
1 Tbsp olive oil
Juice of 1 lime, plus any leftover grapefruit juice
Red pepper flakes
1/4+ cup pistachios
salt & pepper to taste

1. Cut the avocado into slices or chunks; set aside. Cut the grapefruit in half and use a small knife to go around the edges. This will make it easier to scoop the sections out. Use a spoon to scoop the sections out and set aside with the avocado. Squeeze leftover juice from the grapefruit rinds over the avocado.

2. Heat a saute pan over low-medium heat. Chop kale and add to pan. Add lime juice, olive oil and pepper flakes and toss. If the kale starts to sizzle, the pan is too hot, so turn it down. Heat for 5 minutes, or just until the kale starts to turn bright green.

2. Divide the kale between two plates, making sure to top each with any leftover liquid from the saute pan. Now put half the avocado-grapefruit mix on each salad and sprinkle with pistachios. Season with salt and pepper as desired.

Serve with Grapefruit Whiskey Sour :)


12 comments:

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I am going to make this in the next few days...it sounds delicious and is for sure a POWER salad. Thanks for the recipe!

Collette Osuna said...

LOVE a great salad....warmer temps are making me want an outdoor BBQ soon!

Crystal said...

your'e so healthy, catie! no wonder your figure is so thin and lean : ). looks so yummy. very "power"ful indeed.

crystal x
@watermoolen

Ashley said...

Yummy, and it looks easy too! My kind of salad! (Added to my To Try list, hehe)

katherine said...

this looks so delicious! i love avacado and grapefruit together. im adding this to my salad list for the summer. i think its great that you have the food aspect to this blog.

CatieBeatty said...

LOL you all probably think I'm vegan. I try to eat healthy, but I eat a pastry for lunch waaay more often than I'd like to admit. I'm happy to share my healthy, delicious recipes that I come up with. I won't be sharing the utter failures, tho. Figure you guys don't want those recipes.

The Closet Shopper said...

My husband made this exact salad for me the other night. He called it the massaged kale salad. It's really delish and it's very healthy.

Thanks for coming by my blog and saying hello. It's great to meet you. Collette is introducing me to some great bloggers!

Tracy

xyz said...

Looks Great!

Amanda said...

oh I need to try this!

mispapelicos said...

Wow I have just found out that you are also a friend of my dear Bella, ahhhhhhhh. isn´t it brilliant
XXXXXXXXXXXX

mispapelicos said...

Any chance of bogger photos???
Ummmmmmm delicious.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Maria said...

That looks Amazing! Can't wait to try it.

Blogging tips