Monday, April 9, 2012

DIY: Homemade syrup

Today we are making pancake syrup! Maple syrup can be very expensive, but I've developed a really good imitation! The trick is to use piloncillo sugar. It's unrefined and gives the syrup that earthy, planty taste that most imitation maple syrups are lacking. I buy it at a local Asian/Ethnic market, and it can also be found at smaller Latin markets. If you can't find piloncillo (they look like little cones made of brown sugar), then brown sugar or raw sugar will work just fine!


What you'll need:
- 1 part water to 1 part piloncillo sugar
- Tablespoon Mapleine or Maple extract
- Some spoons, spatulas, etc.
- Sauce pot
- A small bowl
- Funnel
- Glass bottle (Old syrup bottles work well!)
- Kitchen timer


To start, let's put our little bowl in the freezer. We will use it to test the thickness of our syrup.

Now, over med-high heat, combine the water and sugar in the sauce pan. The sugar will start to dissolve pretty quickly, but stirring helps speed up the process.



Once the sugar is completely dissolved, turn the burner up to high and bring to a boil. I like to call this a "candy boil." It has a very distinct look, as seen in the above picture. The bubbles are relatively small, clear instead of frothy, and do not increase in volume.

Set the timer for 7 minutes. Stir occasionally.

After a couple minutes, take the bowl out of the freezer and spoon some syrup into it. Place back in the freezer. It should start to get thicker as it cools rapidly. When the timer goes off, take the pan off the burner and do another freezer test. If the syrup is not setting up, you need to boil it a little longer. If it doesn't need to boil longer, then set your timer for 10 minutes. This will allow for a little cool down before adding the flavoring.



It's important to not add the flavoring while the syrup is boiling. I find that most of the flavor evaporates at such high temperatures. Add the syrup when the timer goes off.




Now you can leave the syrup to cool for a little while. 15 to 30 minutes is enough time. Don't leave it too long, thought, or it will be harder to pour into the bottle. Take your funnel and carefully fill the bottle with the warm syrup. You can use your spatula to scrape down the sides.

I store mine in the fridge, but you probably don't have to as this is nothing but sugar and water.


Try it in yogurt, on pancakes and french toast, or even use it to sweeten your coffee!

7 comments:

Cosmia, Inflammatory Knit said...

That's so weird, just yesterday I bought a jar of maple flavour golden syrup because I wanted maple syrup but it's too pricey. I don't think I can get maple extract here though :(
I had mine on a cinnamon bagel with bacon, YUM!

CatieBeatty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CatieBeatty said...

So in my previous comment (that I deleted) I made a joke about the English not having pancakes, but then remembered you were Irish. Awkward!

You might be able to find fake maple flavor, that's what I use cuz it's stronger. Check the baking section.

Also, cinnamon bagel with bacon and syrup sounds INCREDIBLE!!! I might blog about it and will of course give you credit!

Anonymous said...

I know where to get some piloncello and now I know what to do with it. Is the resulting syrup thick?

CatieBeatty said...

Terri, if you boil it long enough it should get pretty thick! More sugar usually means thicker syrup.

katherine said...

thanks dude. im trying to make everything i can so this is great. keep posting stuff like this, or tell me it all over the phone, lol.

Isabel Hendrix said...

ohh mah gawd. can you cook for me? your syrup looks AMAZING. and the last picture.. my mouth is literally watering. YUMMMM. Now I all I want to eat is breakfast for dinner...

Blogging tips