Sunday, April 29, 2012

Breakfast basics made better

-The Basics-
Oatmeal, eggs, toast. Pretty basic breakfast fair, but it doesn't have to be boring or bland. Here are some ideas to switch up your morning routine!

Oatmeal
Try different grains! Most oat-alternatives aren't much more expensive than your regular rolled oats and are especially affordable when bought in bulk at places like Whole Foods Market.
Try rolled rye, barley, Kamut, or spelt. Steel cut oats are another delicious, high-fiber option. It takes a little longer to cook, but has a nicer texture than the rolled variety.

Try new toppings!
-Miss Melba: Dried apricot, raspberry, almonds and yogurt (pictured above)
- Cinnamon Roll: Cinnamon, brown sugar, raisins, butter and low-fat milk
-Maple Walnut: Toasted walnuts & maple syrup or a little bit of maple flavoring

Tip: Cook dried fruit, such as apricots & raisins, in the grains. They plump up really nicely!


Eggs
In my opinion, eggs are pretty much perfect. I like them all ways. My mom turned me onto a different way to eat my poached eggs: Wrapped in crepes! They're amazing! Of course, that tends to happen when you wrap things in crepes. A little salt and pepper is all that's needed.

 I recommend the Jacques Pépin crepe recipe my mother has been using for years

French Toast
I usually put a little vanilla in the egg batter, but these other flavors are delicious too:
-Maple flavoring
-Lemon flavoring
-Orange flower water
 (my mom used this last flavor to death, so I don't like it any more)

-OR- use coconut butter to fry the toast. It tastes delicious and is not any worse for you than butter (remember there's no such thing as low-fat fat)

Warning: this next tip is not low-fat!
One time I was making french toast and I ran out of egg mixture. I had a couple dry spots on the slice of toast I was trying to fry, and the only thing left in my fridge was a half-pint of heavy whipping cream. One thing led to another and I was soon eating the most amazing piece of whipping cream french toast! So the next time you're planning a birthday breakfast or just really feel like calories don't matter, try using whipping cream in your egg mixture instead of milk!



11 comments:

trishie said...

Great breakfast tips!

Dilan Dilir said...

looks tasty even though I don´t eat eggs! :)

Ang Lam said...

Your food is making me hungry :)

ang-closet365.blogspot.ca

Unknown said...

beautiful blog!!!i'm following you!!!

Freaky Friday

Freaky Friday Facebook Fan Page

samecookiesdifferent said...

the breakfast looks so yummy dear
<3
x the cookies
samecookiesdifferent.blogspot.com

Sarah | Cable Car Couture said...

Since I'm hypoglycemic, eating steel cut oats is a lifesaver for me -- it's far more complex than regular oats and will keep me going for hours. Especially in the spring, it's wonderful to put some fresh kiwi or mango in with my oatmeal.

Another great, easy breakfast I love is hard boiled eggs. It cooks itself while you're in the shower!

Sarah
Cable Car Couture

Vittoria @ The Beautiful Things said...

love this post....and it's left me hungry!


xoxo from nyc & http://www.the-beautiful-things.com

Victoria said...

I'll definitely try all the different toppings for oatmeal!

- Victoria
www.Vickkitas.blogspot.se

Daysha said...

Ooh these are great new ideas :) I seriously loveee breakfast. :)
xx
Daysha

K. said...

lovely post. and I like your cute food pics:) very nice!

http://chicmaniapourtoi.blogspot.com/

Cee said...

I'm just catching up on your blog - it's obviously been a while since my last visit - and although I was eating lunch while reading this post, I am officially hungry again. French toast is my favourite food; I recently discovered that it's even better with butterscotch topping than maple syrup. But I never thought of using whipping cream! It's officially on my list of things I must do right now :)
xox,
Cee

Blogging tips