Saturday, May 28, 2011

neighborhood


The good news:
The duplex behind me has all these lovely flowers that sprout up everywhere. They're all well established and come back year after year. Two of my favorites, iris and poppy, are the most notable. There is one giant pink poppy that has probably a dozen buds on it. Then there are these little orange Icelandic poppies. They grow along the rockeries in the front and back. They are day-glow orange and so papery and delicate; photos don't do them justice. The irises bloom like clockwork every May.

The bad news:
Crime is getting more noticeable in my neighborhood :( I was actually interviewed by one of the local news channels today in regards to safety at the park where I got married. Then last Wednesday, I was awoken at 3am by ADT, because our office had been broken into. It's two doors down from my apartment, which made it easy to go talk to the police when they arrived. *Sigh*

Luckily, nothing was stolen; they just broke our door knob and smashed one of our windows with a HUGE rock. Honestly, the flood we had in January was worse than this.

Ok, enough of about that. I have decided to go on a clothing fast. No shopping for the month of June! No malls, no thrift stores, no boutiques, nothing! The past two months have been so spendy (wedding, after wedding,after wedding), that I will be in serious financial pain if I do not take a break from buying clothes.

It's time to work with what I have (which is about 5,000 skirts). For instance, I just bought this mini at H&M. Isn't it a cool color? It was $6. I also bought a great little lacy top that I hope to style soon.


Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

In these photos:
H&M mini skirt
Nordstrom Men's Shirt (cropped)
Cooperative wedges
Aldo bag
Vintage resin and shell pendant

5 comments:

This Charming Style said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your office being broken into! At least nothing was stolen, but STILL it's scary to know that someone has intruded. Plus the cost of fixing the window etc. I really hope that your local police sort it out!

At least you have the pretty flowers to look at, and you look like a doll yourself! The skirt is really cute. Love your bag too :)

Kirstin said...

Oh my, sounds horrible! I am also on a spending ban, good luck with yours... I am struggling right now! The colour of that skirt is amazing, I am obsessed with colours like it right now.

helen turnbull said...

Ar no. On a brighter note - Perfect outfit.

Helen, X
areyoudressingupordressingdown.blogspot.com/

Ashley said...

Wow! That's so terrible about your office; I'm glad you're ok and nothing was stolen. I think it's great that you're going on a shopping fast. I know you'll be extra creative with your already fantastic wardrobe.

Regarding your latest comment, that is exactly how I feel about shorts! It takes me about a month to no longer feel naked when I walk out the door.

Playing Hooksies said...

cuute shoes. rounded in such an unexpected way :)

Blogging tips