Monday, July 2, 2012

Look of the Day: rock & wool

You will rarely see me in shorts. Especially ones this tiny! It's important to balance them by covering up on top and keeping things relatively casual.
Good rule of thumb: if you're wearing micro shorts, don't show any cleavage, and stay away from high heels. A summer wedge would work, as long as it's under 4 inches. Anything higher looks tarty. Your inseam shouldn't be shorter than your heel.  Of course, if I was one of those lucky ladies with legs for days, I might say something different ;)

All the necklaces are vintage, except for the one with coral colored tube beads. I made that one :) Michael Kors has one that's really similar and made of real coral.
I don't know if you have the same problem as I do, but simple black flats can be so hard to find! Well, I finally found a good pair by Steve Madden that don't cost a ton. I'm hoping Nordstrom will carry them so I can go try them on. Hopefully they're comfortable, because my favorite pair are starting to get holes :(


Vintage wool jacket (similar) - H&M metallic clutch (similar) - DIY shorts (similar) - Forever21 cat eye sunglasses (similar) - Vintage coral necklace (similar) - Dorothy Perkins t-shirt (similar) - thrifted black flats

8 comments:

mispapelicos said...

You look gorgeous, and I WANT your clutch.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Cee said...

This week's visit to your blog is just full of gems, Catie! I'm practically salivating, both of your gorgeous vintage jacket (that colour!) and that amazing looking recipe for Emerald City Bean Spread :) I completely agree about micro shorts, but I have to say, I think you pull them off beautifully - and you have quite a lovely pair of legs, too!
xox,
Cee

Lizzie said...

Love this look! Especially the jacket; such a great color!!

I 100% agree with that rule of thumb-short shorts need to be paired with a more modest top!

Black flats ARE so stinkin hard to find. I wear them almost everyday for work, so I need a quality, simple pair. Mine are getting holes as well. I should check out Steve Madden. Sole Food in the UVill has a gorgeous, uber soft pair...but they are like $200+. Eeeeiiik haha


xo
Lizzie

placeclevertitlehere.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Great advice about the shorts...the short ones are everywhere in the shops this summer. It's the jacket I'm admiring.

Shubhi said...

Beautiful vintage+DIY neckaces:)
Love the faux-choral one which you made!


Shubhi's Revels!

Thrifted Shift said...

Excellent tips about wearing shorts! Good luck with the flats!
--Vivienne

Britney @ Scout and Company said...

Oh great outfit Catie!!
-Britney of Lemonwood and Honey

Lindsay Living said...

Super cool outfit, Catie! I love the color of that little jacket.

Blogging tips