Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Blue





The blue of my top reminds me of something I just can't place. It's dusty and waxy like blueberries, but is missing that hint of purple under the flesh. It doesn't shine like a Stellar's jay. I have a knack for comparison and an eye for color, and maybe I'm just overly tired, but I just can't place this shade.

This happens with the color blue. The ancient Greek language lacked a word for blue. Homer described the sea as "wine dark," and in nature, true blues are not as common as you think. The blueberry is actually purple and the jay bird's feathers are simply reflecting all blue light waves. But then we have the miracle of indigo and woad and all is forgotten. Their histories are fascinating ones. The Picts get their name from the Latin word "picti" which means 'painted ones,' since they were known for painting themselves with the blue of the woad plant (yeah, think Braveheart). I could write forever about the color blue, and maybe I will someday, but for now I am going to just read more about the history of indigo and woad :)

Anyway, more about my Laura Ashley smock. It's been in the family for a while now. My mother received it secondhand from a friend around the time I was born, so it's elegance is rooted deep in my memory. At some point in time, it was gifted to me and my sisters for our dress-up collection. It's been worn by princesses, nurse-maids and Bennett sisters. It even had a part in a play. It needs mending, but I am no good at mending holes that don't involve seams. I had this top in mind when I wrote the post about lighting and had nearly forgotten about my plans to revisit Vermeer when I noticed how similar my photos were to some paintings by the aforementioned artist. I am not pregnant, but the top gives my silhouette an elegant fullness similar to the women in the paintings.




In these photos:
Vintage Laura Ashley smock
Skirt from Forever21
Shoes from Target

3 comments:

miss annie said...

I love the paintings in this post!
and thanks for your comment!

Collette Osuna said...

I love blue...your smock is gorgeous!

Statements in Fashion

Anonymous said...

I love this post. First, I had maternity smocks that I continued to wear AFTER my babies were born. I like the connection to Vermeer and I VERY much like the meditation on blue! More like this please.

Blogging tips