Monday, August 13, 2012

Fall 2012 Color Trends

I hate to say this, but Fall is just around the corner. I'm trying to get myself excited about it, so I've been looking into trends and checking out F/W 2012 lookbooks. I always use color as my starting point, so it goes without saying that I've been referring to Pantone's Fashion Color Report a lot.

I needed a place to collect my "thoughts", so I started a collection on SocialBliss. Here are a few of my favorites:

"French Roast" Pantone 19-1012: Polka Dot pants from J.Crew




"Olympian Blue" Pantone 19-4056: Viv Patent Flats from J.Crew

Rose Smoke" Pantone 14-1506: Chloe F/W 2012

"Tangerine Tango" Pantone 17-1463: As seen at VersaceF/W 2012
Note: Tangerine Tango is Pantone's Color of the Year!

Update: Cee brought up a good point in a comment on this post: Are these really Fall colors? They seem too bright. Well, my argument is that, yes, I think these work for Fall. Maybe not all together, and maybe you won't really feel like wearing them till later, but when you get sick of black and brown, these colors will be a nice pick-me-up for your wardrobe. Still having trouble imagining how to wear them? Think mod-meets-cocktail-party, like at Kate Spade in the F/W 2012 collection. 
Personally, I don't like how the colors look all grouped together, and I'm not a huge fan of Pink Flambe or Rhapsody (the pink and purple circles), but I know, once I've had my fill of navy and burgundy, a shift dress in Tangerine Tango will be just the thing! 

For more Fall Color Trend reading:

3 comments:

Andria R. said...

ultramarine green is my all time fav color. It's so pretty

Cee said...

I have mixed feelings about this Pantone chart... to me the colours look too summery and bright for fall. They're all lovely, but they just don't seem to suit the season. I want to bear wearing burgundy and navy in the fall, not tangerine (and certainly not chartreuse!). Perhaps that's just me? I suppose it remains to be seen which colours really show up in the fall collections, which are just beginning to role out... But I have to admit, I'm not as inspired by this as I want to be :( Tell me, how would you dress tangerine for fall? I'm interested in how others will interpret this.
xox,
Cee

Ashley said...

I was just thinking that rhapsody didn't seem very fallish. Maybe with burgundy?

I hope your Madewell event went well. Would sure have loved to be there to meet you!

Blogging tips