Saturday, December 29, 2012

Recipe: Mona Kay Cocktail

Cocktail, recipe, nye, new years eve, bitters, DIY, homemade, grapefruit
My experiments with homemade bitters have met with success. How do I know? Well, they're delicious. So delicious that I'm having trouble writing this. Hashtag buzzed.

I decided to try out a version of the recipe I saw in Martha Stewart's Whole Living. I used tangerine and grapefruit peel in place of the orange and lemon zest. My spice mix varied just a little, too.


To make sure my version turned out okay, I developed The Mona Kay. Why the name? While browsing old city documents, I discovered that my apartment building was christened The Mona Kay upon it's construction in the early 1940's. Since the drink and the building are a similar peachy-pink, I thought the name would fit both.

Here's a quick recipe, using store-bought bitters, just in case you're short on time:

-The Mona Kay-
8oz. grapefruit juice, preferably fresh squeezed
½ tsp sugar
2oz. vodka
Ice

Mix the sugar and bitters in a low-ball glass, or whatever you have. Add vodka, juice, and ice. Stir. Garnish with grapefruit zest

Optional: Try a sugared rim instead of mixing the sugar into the drink. It's prettier that way.

3 comments:

B.A.D said...

Perfect cocktail for the New Year;s eve, I will try it!

squidword said...

how perfect pictures and coktail!! i'll definitely try it!!
http://mychoicesaremystyle.blogspot.gr/

MILEX said...

I think it is perfect

Blogging tips