Saturday, May 19, 2012

In Photos: Wedding Anniversary

Today, I am celebrating my one year wedding anniversary with my one-and-only Trevor.
A year has gone by so quickly! In fact, it went so quickly that I never even had time to share pictures from my wedding reception!

Let me do a quick recap, otherwise you might be confused. We were officially and legally married on May 19th, 2011. I posted pictures from that, like the one below.
However, I did not post any from our reception, which was held in August. 
So I'm gonna stereotype here: I'm guessing most of my readers are female. I'm also going to guess that a large portion of you are like me and really love wedding stuff (even though I'm married, I still want a subscription to Martha Stewart Weddings), so I'm sure you won't mind a long, rambling post about a wedding reception!

Our nuptials were very casual, so we decided to keep the reception pretty laid-back. I borrowed a (beautiful!) dress, we rented a community building at a city park, and dinner was potluck-style. We provided drinks and desert and my amazing father-in-law served pulled pork.

{the invitations}
I think the fanciest part was the invites, which I designed with help from my lovely step-mom.

{the dress}

 It belonged to my husband's grandmother. Miraculously, all of her clothes fit me perfectly. She was quite a stylish lady back in the day (now she's too old to care).

That's my dear, sweet cousin Molly.

{the centerpieces}
My aunts are geniuses. On their advice (and good experience) I went to Pike Place Market a couple days before the reception and ordered 10 bouquets from one of the many flower vendors. I told them what colors I wanted and for $50 they made me the most beautiful arrangements! I put them in vases and jars I bought at  various thrift stores. The candle holders are also thrifted. Some are actual candle holders, and some are neat antique jam jars. They were fun to shop for; it was like a treasure hunt.

{the favors}
We had a candy table, which turned out to be a bad idea, because NO ONE ate the candy. I had about 10 pounds of candy in my trunk for months. The envelopes with champagne drops and buttermints worked out pretty well, though (idea from Martha Stewart Weddings)

{the cake}
OK, this part was pretty fancy, too, and, like the candy, I ate it for months. It was classic yellow cake, with apricot and almond filling and a buttercream frosting. My mom and sisters spent days slaving away on this cake. I'm pretty sure they didn't realize what an ordeal it would be when they offered to make it. We were just gonna get a Costco cake or something, haha. Needless to say, my family is amazing. My sister made each and every one of those marzipan fruits. (I can't remember where the recipe is from, but can find out if anyone is interested)

{the wedding party}
They weren't officially our wedding party (just some friends, sisters and a niece), but it wouldn't have been possible without our wonderful friends and family. Seriously, that's the main reason I had the reception, so I could hang out with ALL of my favorite people all in one room! I feel like I should write Thank You notes again.

A big thank you to Laurel, Tara, and Alana for taking pictures!!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

It all looks magical and completely descriptive of you over what I've learned about you the past few weeks. The cake is beautiful and I love that dress! Looks like a very festive time and happy 1 year anniversary!! <3

toni

Thrifted Shift said...

Thanks for sharing these lovely photos of your important day(s)! Happy Anniversary!
--TS

DOWNTOWNCHICAGOBARBIE said...

Congratulation on your first wedding anniversary. You dress you wore was amazing. Your grandmother had great taste I would love to raid her closet.

Anonymous said...

The cake just looks so delicious and I'm very impressed by the marzipan embellishments. Happy Anniversary.

Patti Santamaria said...

great post! XoXo

I waiting for you on my blog!

www.shoesandbasics.com

squidword said...

Congratulations! you both look gorgeous! love the pictures! have a blissful life!
http://mychoicesaremystyle.blogspot.com/

Caroline Susanto said...

omg...you look so sweet! :D

Congratulationsssss :)

Love,
Caroline
missoline.blogspot.com

ladyhoward said...

It was such fun! Glad I could contribute to the day :)

ladyhoward said...

PS I ate more than my fair share of candy.

Ashley said...

Oh my goodness that dress is stunning and so absolutely perfect for the occasion! I'm so happy that you didn't do a "traditional" wedding or reception. Yours inspires me, whenever mine may occur... Thanks for sharing these photos!

Fufuquices said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fufuquices said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fufuquices said...

Dear Catie, what a beautiful wedding!
Loved every detail: the cake, the dress, flowers,
everything was beautiful, very different and unique!
You looked beautiful and her husband too!
I love weddings! I did not marry in church
but my husband and I have plans to do a ceremony
celebrating 10 years of marriage (which have been together for seven years)!
I loved the pictures!
Today there on the blog has the outfit that I wore over the weekend and
later I'll post a recipe here on the blog of Brazilian food!
I hope your visit!
Kisses and a great week for you!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! Everything looks so beautiful! <3

The Style Moodboard

Houseofweddings.ie said...

Anniversary is the beautiful day in one's life. You look perfect together. Best wishes to both of you and hope your love remains the same.

Fashion With Ellie said...

Your dress was beautiful! Love the pictures as well! Happy anniversary:)

Ellie

Sarah | Cable Car Couture said...

How absolutely charming! I love how non-traditional your wedding look and your photos are -- love the last pic with your wedding party!

Happy Anniversary :) Here's to many more wonderful years.

Sarah
Cable Car Couture

Unknown said...

amazing post!!
IF U WANT TO VISIT MY BLOG STREET CHIC http://chicstreetchoc.blogspot.com/
U CAN ALSO FIND ME ON FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/pages/Street-Chic/126609910754628

Unknown said...

Wow you look fabulous. And I recognize that cake from when Martha Stewart and Julia Child made one together.( I was just watching that episode)
Happy Anniversary!

Nicole

www.nyconmymind.com

Blogging tips