Sunday, October 17, 2010

Default



I think for everyone, there is a color palette that suits them best, but it's more about preference than anything. For me it's the primary colors, and then neutrals like black, brown, white and navy. I can't wear camel or most pastels. I know as a blond with a pale, rosy complexion I am suppose to wear blue and gray eye shadows and lipsticks from the cool palette (e.g. magenta). I don't know about you, but I look like a hooker circa 1992 if I try to wear those colors. Who came up with those rules?

I just Googled "Color Analysis" and now I'm pretty confused. I seem to be Spring, Summer, and possibly Winter too. Lord knows. I don't think it really works to put people in categories like that, when what it really comes down to is what you like and what you think looks good. I'm skeptical about "having your colors done" because when I look in each category there is a color that I'm told I should wear that I know for a fact makes me look washed out and/or pasty. Likewise, I am told to not wear colors that I know look stunning on me (black, for instance. It looks great on everyone!) I went to the website for the original "get your colors done" company (Color Me Beautiful), and they actually said "You should never dress in vivid or saturated colors..." Shame on anyone who would ever tell someone that!

Anyway, maybe there's a science behind personal colors, but they make it sound so strict. Sometimes the rules apply, but most of the time they don't. I think it has more to do with magnetism and instinct, and less to do with light absorption and reflection and how colors would look on you if you were a picture painted on a piece of paper. Human beings are not made of ink, our molecules reflect light to create color and the receptors in our eyes pick these up as either red, blue, or green. Not red, yellow, and blue. We were taught red, yellow, and blue in school, because that is how you make paint colors. It isn't, however, how you make the green of a pine needle or the orange of a parrot's feathers. Anyway, I think I'm getting in over my head. Color and color perception are quite complicated. There are the primaries that make paint, the primary lights, and the primary inks used in printing (cyan, magenta, yellow). My boyfriend and I started discussing it, but got stuck on perception and how all these areas interact with each other.

What do you all think? Are there certain colors that you tend to gravitate towards? have you ever had your colors done (I laugh a little every time I say that)? I would love to hear from anyone who has studied color further than I did in my Physics class for non-science majors, haha.



In this series:
American Apparel leotard
Vintage canvas belt
Vintage velvet skirt
Wool beret
Payless shoes

9 comments:

Collette Osuna said...

I LOVE this outfit...and the colors on you..very rich looking....Ill have to go check that out and see what my colors are....Im kinda scared after what it told you, lol


Stop by and say Hello ♥
Statements in Fashion Blog

Katherine said...

I'm no good with clothing colors but as far as eyeshadow and eyeliner I've always read that for blue eyes you should wear browns and bronze colors. Its supposed to help the eyes "pop". Blue eyeshadow doesn't look good on me either.

Kara said...

I love that skirt and belt!! So ladylike and pretty! :)

haha, I hate figuring out colours too! I have fair skin but dark eyes and hair so I classify myself as a Winter because I usually gravitate to white, greys, navy and black and i find they look best on me. My mom would always point out which colours did not look good on me and it started to drive me insane so i bought those colours as i got older just to try. i can't wear oranges or olive or gold but its fun to try and then at least you can find out for yourself!

xo

Anonymous said...

Ha, I had my colors done years ago and was told I was a winter. For years, I had suffered with anemia and was very pale. No longer and hence my own person "color" has changed.

I think some of the rules were probably an extension of early dress for power ideas in the 80's.

I wear what pleases me--often too many neutrals, so i do push to have more vivid color...like the color of your skirt.

This is a thoughtful post that I will keep pondering.

Kirstin said...

You definitely seem to have a colour palette that you stick to, it looks great on you and it works. I love that skirt, it looks like you are wearing something that has history. Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

This is all pretty fascinating to me. I have never really sat down and thought about it, but I have certainly been told to wear certain colors and not others.

And with the same result: it's not true. Perhaps sometimes it is, but for the most part, anyone can wear anything they wish and most of pulling it off really does have to with confidence and finesse. I have seen redheads look fabulous in pink. Who knows. Then there's the outward vs inward perception- for example, my mother forcing me into burgundy for much of my life, in turn creating a hatred which has since been revisited and amended.

There are so many reasons why we look good in certain colors, I think. Like, if that beautiful shade of orange on your skirt happens to remind you of a wonderful couch in your grandpa's study- you may look better in it than if it reminded you of that one time you barfed spaghetti-o's.

Hm. I dunno.

I shall go and ponder for a bit.

.Haiku

RedPoppy said...

Love these fab pics of you by the way. Yeah, all that stuff about falling into one specific 'season' is really a load of hallyballoo ;) For example, every cosmetic counter I've ever visited had insisted that redheads look best in every shade of rust and tree, but I have never been a 'brown' redhead. I love wearing black! And pink, and red, and yellow...x

CatieBeatty said...

Thanks for all the interesting comments you guys left!

I'm glad I am not crazy. Most of you seem to agree with me! It's definitely about personal taste and association, like Ms. Haiku said!

Robin said...

You're great! Love all the creative color combos and outfit ideas on your blog!

Blogging tips