Monday, August 29, 2011

Menswear



Like most of you, I've been researching the Fall trends lately and I'm glad to see that "menswear" is still on the trend list. Really, it's old news, it's been around for a while now, but who can blame 'em for keeping it going? Have you noticed how feminine you feel in menswear? It's like the contrast between the clothing and the wearer is so strong that instead of it hiding your femininity it just makes it more apparent.

My short hair is pushing it in the femininity department, but throw on some red lipstick and pearls and I feel the most womanly sort of powerful. I feel a sense of authority that is based on my appearance alone. I know it sounds like an authority or confidence that could be taken away with the removal of a jacket, but really it's just a seed that's been planted in your subconscious. Why do you think they call Power-suits, Power-suits? Not to get too technical and factoid-y, but psychologist have found that there is real validity to the old saying "fake it till you make it."



P.S. I'm not saying that only dressing like a man can make you feel powerful. Wear what makes you feel confident. If Uggs make you feel powerful, then I guess you can wear those.

In this outfit:
H&M Overcoat
H&M sweater
Zella leggings
Aldo bag
Forever21 glasses

14 comments:

mary louise said...

i love this outfit! really gorgeous

http://styleaccordingtome.blogspot.com

Julia said...

I'm loving your take on menswear, it's clean, crisp & parisian. The hot red lippy is the perfect finish xo

dcresider said...

A perfect outfit. I'm a sucker to red lips too.

This Charming Style said...

You look wonderful! I wish I could pull off this sort of look. I love the added touch of the glasses and lippy! xx

ladyhoward said...

You got the coat! I was in H&M yesterday and thought of you. I bought a really fabulous mauve blazer from GAP, otherwise I would be all over the camel version of yours :)

Baby Budget Blog said...

Love the menswear theme! The stripes are a nice touch!

www.plentyforpennies.com

CatieBeatty said...

Laurel, I was wondering if you had gone back for it! The blazer sounds lovely. Its always nice to have some different colored coats instead ones in neutrals.

Thank you everyone for the great feedback!

Isabel Hendrix said...

I love the menswear theme for ladies in the Fall. yayay! those glasses are so cool by the way ^^

Cosmia, Inflammatory Knit said...

I love the menswear trend too. I feel more confident wearing it with short hair than I did with long hair.. more.. sassy?? My boyfriend doesn't understand this trend at all though!

Ashley said...

I think clothes are inextricably linked to confidence. You can tell how someone feels about themselves by how they dress. If menswear makes you feel powerful, by all means wear it! Every day! For the record, I can't imagine anyone feeling powerful in Uggs.

Sam said...

I think I could never pull the menswear trend off like you can. It looks so good

C said...

I love this! And I always found that I felt MORE feminine and powerful with my short hair. The shorter it was, the more feminine I felt, which is sort of odd, I suppose...

Audrey B said...

just found your blog! love it and love your style! I would love for you to visit and follow back? www.casualglamorous.com

bea said...

black is for you!!!

Blogging tips