Monday, December 6, 2010

CRAFT: Waxed Paper Snowflakes

I present to you, my favorite busy-work craft: paper snowflakes!!
diy, craft, snowflakes, paper, seattle, lifestyle, holiday, fleur d'elise, recycle
I wax mine to help preserve them! This means they are stiffer, less likely to tear, and can either be taped to a window or hung in a tree.

To start, you will need the following:
1. Recycled or decorative paper. The thicker it is, the harder it is to fold, so I recommend notebook paper or equivalent weight. Catalog pages & origami paper work well!
2. Sharp, pointy scissors
3. A pencil
4. Some string or thread
5. Old candles
6. Old pan
7. Chopstick or other stick that is good for poking
8. Tin foil
9. Glitter, to taste
diy, craft, snowflakes, paper, seattle, lifestyle, holiday, fleur d'elise, recycle

Then follow these steps:
Cut a square from your paper and fold it into a triangle 3 times. The picture shows four but that's because I fold one corner over and then the next so I get a good crease. It's still just three times.


Make sure the opening is at the top and cut the top into a rounded shape.

Draw a pattern onto one side and start cutting!
diy, craft, snowflakes, paper, seattle, lifestyle, holiday, fleur d'elise, recycle

Voila!
diy, craft, snowflakes, paper, seattle, lifestyle, holiday, fleur d'elise, recycle

(Next part of project is NOT KID FRIENDLY)
I really like my snowflakes and want them to be immortal, so I dip them in wax. This is obviously where the candle wax comes in. Start by melting the wax in the old pan on low heat. My stove's settings are 1 thru 10, so I usually put it on 2 or 3. Get a sheet of tin foil ready on the counter next to the stove. When the wax is completely melted, place your snowflake in the pan and push it down with your stick or pencil. Don't use something nice because it will be covered in wax.

diy, craft, snowflakes, paper, seattle, lifestyle, holiday, fleur d'elise, recycle, waxed
When it is completely saturated, carefully take it out of the pan with your stick and gently shake it above the pan to remove excess wax. Now set it on the tin foil to cool. If it gets stuck, just carefully pry it off using your fingernails. You may need to change the tin foil from time to time.


After it is cool, I usually dip it a second time to make sure it's really well coated. At this point you can decide whether to add glitter or not. Fine glitter works best. Simply dip the snowflake like you did before, but sprinkle with glitter before it cools.


If you plan on hanging your snowflakes or tying them to gifts, you can add a bit of thread or ribbon. If taped to a window, the tape can be easily removed.
diy, craft, snowflakes, paper, seattle, lifestyle, holiday, fleur d'elise, recycle

diy, craft, snowflakes, paper, seattle, lifestyle, holiday, fleur d'elise, recycle

Happy Holidays!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Catie--these are lovely and waxing them is a new step for me!

RedPoppy said...

Just amazing! LOOOVEE these! you have such talent, I've been trying to make these for ages. Also thank you for linking me on your page! I've linked you on mine as well. xo RedPoppy

Collette Osuna said...

Holy cow.....what a great DIY:)

Thanks for sharing!!

Stop by and say Hello♥
Style Sample Magazine NEWS EDITOR♥

Anonymous said...

I haven't made these in so long, thanks for sharing! I like the idea of dipping them in wax too.

Sarah {Raving Fashionista} said...

Oh what a great idea!! These are darling I wish I had found this last week and I may have tried to be extra ambitious and made my own party decorations.

xo www.RavingFashionista.com

Blogging tips