Saturday, November 30, 2013

Joyeux Neon: DIY Christmas Cards

  Who says neon pink isn't a Christmas color? It sure as heck brightens up those long, cold nights! This year, I decided my cards would be gold and neon pink. Honestly, I wasn't too sure about the colors, but they are turning out spectacularly! Well, at least I think so.


christmas, french, neon, card




The picture of the card does not do it justice. Neon can be tricky to photograph, but I think it gives you the idea of what can be done with a little neon and a lot of gold!

holiday, neon, cards, crafts, vintage, christmas, winter

Sourcing your materials:

1. Vintage Kitsch
Christmas decor and gift wrap are the things no one wants at garage and estate sales, so it's easy to find great stuff at dirt-cheap prices. I found the bell seals, the neon poinsettia, the super cool Santa in a sports car, and the snowy tree all at one estate sale. If you don't have time to go estate saleing, there's tons of cut vintage stuff on Etsy. This set has a lot of great pieces. I have a couple small kits for sale, too, that would be perfect for holiday crafting. 

2. Cut It Up
Post cards and old books are fabulous for crafting (the pine cone is from an old kid's encyclopedia). You can use every part! Text adds texture, hard covers can be used as canvases, and many old books have beautifully patterned end pages that can be used for all sorts of decorative purposes.

3. Think Outside the Pages
Even easier and cheaper? Recycled magazines and newspapers! The polka dot snowflake was a Wall Street Journal and the reindeer envelope was either a Martha Stewart Living or National Geographic.

4. Practice Makes Perfect
I write out a lot of my own greetings on the front. With a little practice, you can have beautifully lettered holiday cards. Each one unique! Get some watercolors and a fine brush or use a nice pen and just write out your words until you like them! You can get ideas from Pinterest or watch a tutorial if you're not sure where to start. If you live in the Seattle area, Sarah at Paper Source, teaches an amazing hand-lettering class!

4 comments:

Lubka Henry said...

Awesome! I love the personal touch of a handmade greeting card and your choice of colour is very nice :)
I used to make cards before and even had a website for selling... oh my, you just brought back some long forgotten memories.

Lu
www.balgarka.co.uk
Bloggers World Calendar 2014

Rachel Pheasant said...

These are really great--I especially like how you have articulated the snowflakes! Every year I say that I will make my Christmas Cards and I always procrastinate until it is too late.

Best,
Rachel
www.thecuratorial.com

Anonymous said...

amazing idea! definitely trying this, thanks for sharing!
xx Vera & Rony
http://wattwewear.com/

Midnight Cowgirl said...

So pretty!

Blogging tips