Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Long Weekend: 36 hours in Texas

Texas, travel, photography, clouds, blue sky, houston, Catie BeattyTexas, Houston, travel, photography, Fleur d'Elise, Catie Beatty

We touched down at George Bush Intercontinental and all I could think about was Liz Lemon yelling "It's not my airport!" on 30 Rock last week. Until I looked outside. Sun; glorious, warm Sun! How I've missed you!
It was 80 the whole time. My husband whined, but my brother-in-law and I were in heaven.

starbucks, coffee, catie beatty, fleur d'elise
 "Ketty"... that's a new one.

Texas, Houston, travel, photography, Fleur d'Elise, Catie Beatty
Houston skyline taking from one of their terrifying freeways.

taxidermy, bbq, houston, catie beatty, goode company
 An armadillo at Goode Company BBQ

bbq, houston, travel, catie beatty

bumper sticker, catie beatty, liberal
I feel right at home in Texas, which was rather unexpected at first. My husband's family and all their friends make up, what I believe to be, a somewhat rare pocket of liberal Texans. They also make me feel welcome by always having a pecan pie waiting for me.

cake, wedding, catie beatty
We were in Houston for a family wedding. The cake was delicious and, unfortunately, the leftovers were in the same house we were staying at. I ate far too much.

thick as thieves, suit, menswear, vintage, tie
 Trevor wore a tie that once belonged to his great-grandfather, Sully. He was the only welder on Key West in the 1930's. It sounds like he was a pretty neat guy. Green Hills of Africa by Ernest Hemingway is dedicated to him (along with 2 other people).

Florsheim by Duckie Brown

menswear, Fleur d'Elise
 Trevor and his uncle

travel, photography, Denver, Fleur d'Elise
 Homeward bound: we had a short layover in Denver where I ran into a girl I went to high school with. Small world.

And now, here I am, back in Seattle. My pecan pie is waning and I'm already planning what I will do when I  am finally able to visit Houston with a little more time on my hands.

Trevor's outfits: Thick As Thieves Suit - vintage tie - J.Crew button down - Florsheim by Duckie Brown shoes - Shuron frames 

2 comments:

Kati said...

I need the warmth now as well! (and maybe also a Starbucks)
And also thanks for your comment!

Have the loveliest day,
-Kati

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I am thankful to be born, bred, and living in Texas every day!! We have been living in springtime while the rest of the country freezes. And, yes, I am a little proud of being Texan!...but I will agree that Houston freeways are scary!

Blogging tips