Monday, January 31, 2011

COVET.



I covet pretty much anything made of tortoiseshell (both real and fake). I have to stop myself from buying those gorgeous French barrettes, because, let's be honest, I have no hair.

For this week's COVET. I found these beautiful vintage Chanel earrings. I'm not even sure what the price is... oh wait I just found it. Yup, £430! I was going to say that they are out of my reach simply because they are old and probably hard to come by, but that price adds another layer of unattainable!

Aren't they wonderful, though? They're bold, but not impractical. They're beautiful and timeless. These are classic Chanel. I found them on Atelier-Mayer.com ; a purveyor of wonderful vintage fashion based in London. The earrings were made in the 1970's, probably shortly after the trade of real tortoiseshell was banned under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES). This means they are made of Perspex, an acrylic also known by the name "Lucite". If they were actual tortoiseshell, the price would probably be much higher.


Hope you all had a wonderful weekend!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They ARE beautiful earrings and I had not known about the ban on "tortoise shell". In fact, I had thought tortoise shell was always some manufactured product...and simply hadn't thought about the actual meaning of the word. I've learned something new today.

CatieBeatty said...

Yay! I'm sure you know a major goal of blogging is having content and info that readers can take away with them. I'm so glad you learned something.

Thanks for being such a dedicated reader :)

Collette Osuna said...

They are really really pretty earrings:)

Stop by and say Hello:)
Check out my 30x30 Remix….Let’s do this!♥

Blogging tips