Saturday, July 5, 2014

Look of the Day: American Bohemian

 This outfit pretty much embodies everything I'm into this summer. Raw, organic, relaxed; anything that might be described in that way.

White dress? Check.
Denim? Check.
Natural/Hippie/Boho accessories? Check.
Birkenstocks? Check.

Ok, so I'm always into denim, but in the summer my preoccupation with it is twofold. It's perfect for Seattle, where it never gets unbearably hot (well, very rarely), looks crisp, unfussy and so cool with anything white.

I found the dress at Deseret Industries, which is a giant thrift store out here in the west. My mom is convinced it's a wedding dress from the early 1970s. That's certainly possible. It's was in fantastic shape, up until I took the sleeves off. They're were really puffy. Once I started ripping the seems, though, I realized that the sewing quality was much better than most vintage pieces. I can't tell you how many times I've put a shirt or dress back, because it's splitting at the shoulders or the armpit. The sleeves on this dress were attached with three different layers of stitching! I feel kind of bad about ruining all that hard work. The dress isn't ruined, though, so I guess it's okay. I had to buy white American Apparel hotpants to wear underneath. It's a touch see-through.


What are your favorite things to wear in the Summer?

6 comments:

Keit said...

It looks stunning! It reminds me of a wedding dress too, especially the neckline! You're so pretty, love that you wore this dress with the rad camo sandals! :D Wooho!

Unknown said...

I could definitely see how that could've been a wedding dress. I think it's great that it's getting some use! It looks so breezy and pretty paired with the denim jacket. Such a perfect summery outfit.

Jamie | PetitePanoply.com

mispapelicos said...

White and denim perfection, yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh
I am so glad you made it
Thank you so much for joinig the growing family of Share-in-Style.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Unknown said...

Love this romantic outfit with birks, perfect for summer!

vikinghorns said...

You look lovely, there is something so appealing about pretty dresses with denim jackets . . . nice weathered wood background to the photos too

x

Louisa
https://styleover60.wordpress.com/

Brandi said...

I am beyond jealous of this dress. I scour the thrift stores for the perfect white summer dress and have yet to find one!!

Blogging tips