Thursday, April 11, 2013

Beauty: Everyday Sun Protection

La Roche-Posay, beauty, sunscreen, lotion, skin care, skincarerx, non-greasybeauty, sunscreen, lotion, skin care, skincarerx, peter thomas roth,
To start off on a depressing note, did you know Washington state had the 5th highest rate of skin cancer in the U.S. in 2008? Ugh. I'm not totally surprised, but it's still not a pleasant statistic. When it's cloudy most of the year, you kind of forget that the sun's rays are still making their way through the atmosphere. Then there's always that week in May or June where it finally hits 75 and everyone rushes outside to spend the day obvliviously soaking up the UVB. The next day we're like a city of cranky lobsters.

I've been trying to avoid both absent-minded errors by making sure all my make-up has SPF in it, as well as wearing a good lotion with added protection. My one problem I always seem to run into, though, is that most sunscreens make my skin greasy. It may be vain, but I just don't like walking around with a shiny face all day. Luckily, my partnership with SkinCareRx gave me the perfect chance to try out some higher end lotions. 

skin care, lotion, beauty, fleur d'elise
 My first choice was La Roche-Posay Rosaliac UV Fortifying Anti-Redness Moisturiser (woo, try saying that in one breath!) It's perfect for sensitive skin, soothes redness, and has a built-in sunscreen. I've been using it for a couple months now and I like it quite a bit. I don't notice a huge reduction in redness, but I have noticed that they dry, bumpy areas I attributed to a skin allergy have disappeared. It leaves a bit of a shiny residue, but that seems to soak in after 30 minutes or so.

The second lotion I tried happened to be a lucky occurrence in my first package of samples they sent for me to hand out to family and friends. It emphasizes its non-greasiness right in the name: Peter ThomasRoth Max Sheer All Day Defense Cream. It's packed with ceramides and anti-oxidants and all that jazz, on top of having a sun protection factor of 30. It's also fragrance free and suitable for all skin types. I haven't noticed any problems and neither has my mom, so I can vouch for its suitableness. It doesn't go on as sheer as I would like and takes a little longer to soak in, but it's still a great lotion

skin care, lotion, beauty, fleur d'elise, catie beatty
This is before I put any foundation on. See! No grease!
Now I just need to focus on my laziness when it comes to applying to the rest of my skin.

4 comments:

The Photogramps said...

Just went to the derm a had to get moles removed!! (Shutter). Offficially making me feel old, but skin cancer is the most common cancer for people our age! Always love good sunscreen tips. I'm fair skinned too! I LOVE arcona's SPF.
xo
ashley
www.thephotogramps.blogspot.com

Cee said...

I had no idea that Washington had such a high rate of skin cancer! Interestingly enough, I don't think the statistic carries over to BC... but that doesn't mean a reminder to wear sunscreen is a bad thing, it's a part of my skincare routine that I definitely neglect!
xox,
Cee

Simona said...

So important, I have been using sunscreen daily forever, and it is the only thing that will keep you look good. Especially with your fair complexion. And skin cancer is seriously scary. Can't believe [people still use tanning beds. Love La rochay.
Simona
www.lakenmoon.blogspot.com

Dox said...

I would really love to try this, my skin isn't super fair, but it is very sensitive and while I love moisturizing my skin, I like my moisturizers to be oil free. I love my skin feeling fresh rather than greasy so this would be great for me.

Your skin looks amazing! :)

Blogging tips